AMIA hears from attendees that they want presenters at our conferences to use more interesting slides and give more engaging presentations. We’ve identified a few resources on how to create and give more effective scientific presentations. You’ve worked hard on your research and your presentation. Here are some tips on how to convey your discoveries with enthusiasm to your audience!
- Designing Powerpoint Slides for a Scientific Presentation (14 minutes)
- Designing effective science presentations
- Designing conference posters
- Search online for “scientific poster templates.” Because many are commercial we are not recommending any specific one.
- Fleming N. How to give a great scientific talk: Expert presenters share advice on how to capture and hold the attention of a conference crowd. Nature 564, S84-S85 (2018). doi: 10.1038/d41586-018-07780-5
- Susan McConnell (Stanford): Designing effective scientific presentations (42 minutes)
- Public speaking for academics – 10 tips
- Before public speaking… A series of TED talks