Thank you for your interest in the student volunteer program. The application period has now closed. Please consider applying for our student volunteer program for the 2019 AMIA Annual Symposium.
AMIA is sponsoring a Student Volunteer Program whereby a limited number of current AMIA student members may receive waived registration to the AMIA 2019 Informatics Summit (this does not include travel, hotel or meals) in exchange for serving as a room monitor at workshops, plenary sessions, scientific sessions, and town hall meetings.
You must be a current AMIA Student Member to qualify for participation in this program. To become an AMIA Member, Click Here.
The 2019 Informatics Summit will be held in San Francisco, CA at the Parc 55 Hotel, March 25-28, 2019. Workshops will be held on Monday, March 25th.
Responsibilities may include:
- Checking and scanning for specific conference badges
- Monitoring and attending workshops
- Taking a head count at all monitored sessions
- Being available if meeting attendees have questions
- Monitoring space in rooms that have become crowded, requesting extra seating when needed
- Distributing hand-out materials when appropriate
- Assisting speakers with room needs (adjusting lighting, contacting AMIA staff regarding problems with room temperatures, urgent AV issues, etc.)
In order to qualify for participation in the program, each student member volunteer must agree to monitor five session slots during the course of the Summit. A session slot is equal to one workshop, one plenary, one town hall meeting, or one scientific session. It is imperative that each volunteer remain in their designated time slot for the duration of the session to which they are assigned.
Please fill out the form (You need to log in to AMIA Central) to apply for a student volunteer position. If you are selected to participate, you will receive an email from the Student Volunteer Coordinator with information on selecting workshops and sessions to monitor. Once you have selected your workshops and sessions, a student volunteer registration form will be sent to you - this will enable us to collect data for your badge and any other additional events you may wish to purchase.
A valid credit card must be supplied to hold your volunteer position. Should you not COMPLETELY fulfill your volunteer duties, you will be charged the early student rate for the Informatics Summit (fee of $495).
The Student Volunteer Coordinator will notify you before any action is taken. If you have not been selected for the Student Volunteer Program, you will be able to register for the Informatics Summit at the early student member rate.
Please note: while every attempt will be made to accommodate your choices of sessions to monitor, we cannot guarantee it. The Student Volunteer Coordinator will contact volunteers to finalize arrangements.
Deadline: Wednesday, February 20, 2019, 11:59 p.m. EST
Questions regarding this program should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Student Volunteer Question. You may also contact Susanne by phone at 301-657-1291.
"So what's in it for me?"
- Waived student registration to the AMIA Informatics Summit
- Monitoring during sought after specialty workshops; meeting the session presenters.
- Networking and contact opportunities with VIP’s in the field of biomedical, health, translational, public health and clinical informatics.
- Meeting and networking with other students in the field.
- Assisting with AMIA’s only research-focused meeting and learning how a meeting is put together from behind-the-scenes.
- Networking and assisting other AMIA members.