Informaticians Helping Informaticians
Mentor Match is a new AMIA Member Benefit
AMIA’s Mentorship Program is reborn! For the past 5 years, AMIA’s mentorship program has connected more than 500 mentors and mentees. The new Mentor Match program seeks to connect more than 1000 mentors and mentees. AMIA’s multidisciplinary and Interprofessional membership offers members a myriad of opportunities to connect.
Mentors sign-up now through Dec. 31.
Mentees sign-up and search Jan. 1 – 31.
Just one hour per month to build a priceless relationship.
Mentees search the Mentor database based on AMIA member
- professional role
- work setting
- career stage
AMIA Mentor Match Program Structure
The new and improved Mentor Match Program connects members through the AMIA Connect Online Member Community connect.amia.org. This is the perfect opportunity for you to connect with a fellow AMIA member to help them with their professional development or receive assistance on your own.
- Cost: Free to AMIA members. Please renew your 2017 membership by December 31.
- Duration: 12 months (membership year) starting January 1, 2017
- Time commitment: 1 hour minimum per month
- Venue: Face-to-face or phone/email/virtual
- Engagement: One-on-one relationship
- Mentoring Topics: Mentors and mentees are matched based on common interests.
Why should you find a mentor? Mentorship is not only for students.
- What does your career track look like 5 and 10 years in the future? Connect with a mentor in your field.
- Just started a fellowship? Find an advisor to help you navigate a pathway.
- Want to switch career tracks and explore a new area? Select a mentor with experience in your target field.
- Looking for guidance as a woman rising in the ranks? Share your questions and concerns with another woman informatician leader.
- Struggling in your Primary Investigator role? Zero in on another successful PI’s experience.
- Making the leap from academia to industry? Discuss the challenges and opportunities with a mentor who has followed the same path.
- Alone in your workplace as the ONLY informatician? Find a mentor buddy who can advise you on your internal challenges (and actually knows what you are talking about).
- Battling internal politics with people who don’t know much about informatics? Learn how to get buy-in from someone who has been there, done that.
- Wondering whether going back to school for more education will help you advance? Talk it out with someone who returned to school after years in the workplace.
- Trying to move from informatician to an executive role? Explore how to pivot and move from “the data person” to “leadership track”
- New to informatics and AMIA and need some guidance on where to start? Chat with a 1-5 year member who knows what the new member experience is like.