AMIA Academic Forum Executive Committee
Deadline: October 25, 2018
Are you ready and willing to serve the Association, its members and the profession? The Academic Forum Nominating Committee welcomes nominations for the following positions:
- Chair-elect (please see time commitment for Chair-elect)
- Chair-elect [January 1-December 31, 2019]
- Chair [January 1, 2020-December 31, 2021]
- Past-Chair [January 1-December 31, 2022]
- Secretary (two-year term January 1, 2019-December 31, 2020)
Experienced, thoughtful, forward-thinking individuals with diverse experience are sought for volunteer leadership. Academic Forum members are encouraged to self-nominate or recommend that other qualified members nominate themselves. Candidates will be required to provide biographical information and a photograph of themselves.
There are two nomination pathways. The first is to be nominated to and then be recommended by the Nominating Committee. The second is to be nominated from the floor of the Academic Forum meeting at the November AMIA Symposium. Self-nominees are most welcome to both pathways.
Nominees made to the Nominating Committee but not recommended by this group must be nominated from the floor in order to be placed on the ballot. Please read the Election Rules and Procedures in Section D of the Academic Forum Governance Manual (included below) or the entire document at: https://www.amia.org/sites/default/files/Academic-Forum-Governance-Manual-update.pdf
Have additional questions? Call (301-657-1291) or e-mail us! To self-nominate or nominate a colleague: Send a message to Wanda Sheridan, Membership Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
2018 AMIA Academic Forum Nominating Committee
Karen Monsen, Chair, University of Minnesota School of Nursing
2018 Academic Forum Executive Committee
Stephen B. Johnson, Chair, Weill Cornell Medical College
Karen Monsen, Past Chair, University of Minnesota School of Nursing
LaVerne Manos, Secretary, University of Kansas
Suzanne Boren, At-Large Member, University of Missouri
Doug Fridsma, AMIA President and CEO, Ex Officio
(from the Academic Forum Governance Manual)
D. Election Rules and Procedures
Only Designated Representatives from Units that are Full Program Members of the Academic Forum are eligible for positions on the Executive Committee.
- Prior to the AMIA Annual Symposium, the Executive Committee will appoint a Nominating Committee consisting of three Designated Representatives from Full Program Members at least two of which are not members of the Executive Committee.
- The Nominating Committee will extend a Call for Nominations to Forum members for the Executive Committee open elective positions that will become vacant as of the beginning of the following calendar year. The Nominating Committee will select the two most-qualified candidates from amongst the nominations received as well as from invitations the Committee may extend for each open position.
- The Nominating Committee shall forward to the Executive Committee a draft slate of candidates for each open position at the Business Meeting of the Academic Forum at the AMIA Annual Symposium.
- The Chair will call for any additional nominations at that time and then close the nominations. Nominees recommended to the Nominating Committee but not included on the recommended slate who still wish to run in the election must be nominated from the floor during the meeting. Members may self-nominate.
- The voting for the open positions will take place after the close of the Annual Symposium and will employ an electronic ballot supplied by AMIA. All eligible voters will receive an electronic notice of the election at his/her preferred email address. The notice will contain directions for casting a vote using the electronic balloting process
- Each Full Member Program shall be allowed one vote for each open position. Generally, the primary designated representative serves as the voting member.
- Voting shall be open for a minimum period of 14 consecutive days.
- AMIA staff will monitor the election and report the results to the Nominating Committee. The Chair of the Nominating Committee will report the election results by written or email notice to the Executive Committee.
- The election shall be awarded to the candidate for each position who receives the largest number of votes.