AMIA is sponsoring a Student Volunteer Program whereby a limited number of student members may receive waived registration to the AMIA 2013 Annual Symposium (this does not include travel, hotel or meals) in exchange for serving as a room monitor at tutorials, plenary sessions, workshops, and scientific sessions.
You must be a current AMIA Student Member to qualify for participation in this program. To become an AMIA Member, Click Here.
The 2013 Annual Symposium will be held in Washington, DC at the Washington Hilton, November 16-20, 2013. Tutorial sessions will be held Saturday and Sunday.
Responsibilities will include:
- Checking for specific conference badges
- Collecting tickets for entrance into tutorials – turning away anyone without a ticket
- Taking a head count at all monitored sessions
- Being available if meeting attendees have questions
- Distributing hand-out materials when appropriate
- Changing slides and overheads for speakers (if requested)
- Assisting speakers with AV needs (adjusting lighting, contacting AMIA staff regarding problems with room temperatures, etc.)
- Obtaining speaker handouts/slides/presentations via flash drive/USB
In order to qualify for participation in the program, each student member volunteer must agree to monitor six session slots during the course of the symposium. A session slot is equal to one tutorial (full day tutorials count as 2 slots), one workshop, or one scientific session. It is imperative that each volunteer remain in their designated time slot for the duration of the session.
Please fill out the form to apply for a student volunteer position. If you are selected to participate, you will receive an email from the Student Volunteer Coordinator with information on selecting tutorials and sessions to monitor. Once you have selected your tutorials and sessions, a student volunteer registration form will be sent to you - this will enable us to collect data for your badge and any other additional tutorials you may wish to purchase.
A valid credit card must be supplied to hold your volunteer position. Should you not COMPLETELY fulfill your volunteer duties, you will be charged the early-bird rate for the Annual Symposium (fee of $295). The Student Volunteer Coordinator will notify you before any action is taken. If you have not been selected for the Student Volunteer Program, you will be able to register for the Annual Symposium at the advanced student member rate.
Please note: while every attempt will be made to accommodate your choices of sessions to monitor, we cannot guarantee it. The Student Volunteer Coordinator will contact volunteers to finalize arrangements.
The deadline for submitting your application is 11:59 PM EST, Friday, August 30, 2013.
Questions regarding this program should be sent to email@example.com with the subject: Student Volunteer Question. You may also contact Susanne by phone at 301-657-1291.
"So what's in it for me?"
- Waived student registration to the AMIA Annual Symposium.
- Free tutorials! When you monitor at a tutorial, it's like getting to sit in on one for free.
- Networking and contact opportunities with VIP’s in the field of biomedical, health, nursing, and clinical informatics.
- Meeting and networking with other students in the field.
- Assisting with AMIA’s largest meeting and learning how a meeting is put together from behind-the-scenes.