Establishing the Framework for the Secondary Use of Personal Health Information
In recent years, high quality health information has become valuable to many stakeholders in the healthcare ecosystem. The access and aggregation of healthcare data poses philosophical including ethical, political, technical, and economic challenges. The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) while solving some problems has created costs, concerns, and even the perception of barriers to the sharing of health data.
AMIA’s Blue Ribbon Panel of experts on the Secondary Use of Health Data met on April 27-28, 2006. Materials gathered to inform participants are available here along with the final report. A full range of topics was covered. The topics are not new, but were given fresh consideration in light of renewed efforts to build the national health infrastructure for transforming health care into a system that is safe, equitable, efficient, effective, timely and patient-centered. The viewpoint of the framework was societal. This project was led by Charles Safran, MD, past Chairman of the Board with oversight by Don E. Detmer, MD, President and CEO of AMIA.
- Final Report
- Press Release
- Meeting Participants
- Meeting Goals and Objectives
- Discussion Questions
- Draft Bibliography of Related Resources
- "Your Privacy or Your Health- Will Medical Privacy Legislation Stop Quality Health Care?"
Don Detmer, President and CEO, AMIA
- Privacy Issues and a Proposed Taxonomy for NHIN Privacy
- "The Architecture for Privacy in a Networked Health Information Environment"
Connecting for Health
- "Building Privacy by Design In Health Data Systems"
Alan F. Westin and Vivian van Gelder
- "The Connecting for Health Architecture for Privacy in a Networked Health Environment Summary"
- "Medical Quality Improvement Consortium (MQIC)"
Michael Lieberman, MD, MS Informatics Director, Practice Solutions, GE Healthcare
- "Connecting for Biosurveillance: Essential BioSense Implementation Concepts"
Blake Caldwell, MD, MPH, Senior Advisor to the Director Coordinating Center for Health Information and Services, CDC
- "Developing a National Framework for the Secondary Use of Health Data"
Doug Barton, Director, Enterprise Solutions Lockheed Martin Integrated Systems & Solutions
- Overview of the Connecting for Health Common Framework Resources
Melissa Goldstein, JD Director, Health Program, Markle Foundation