Nominations are currently closed.
All voting AMIA members in good standing are eligible for election to the Board and Working Groups (regular, retired, life members). Student members are eligible to run in Working Group elections. Affiliate members are not eligible to run.
Members are encouraged to self-nominate for these positions by June 30. All candidates will be required to complete the Online Biographical Information Form.
The Nominating Committee is currently reviewing nominations for Chair-elect and 4 Directors. The position of Board member is the highest volunteer member contribution role for AMIA. Board members have fiduciary obligations that require members to make decisions in good faith, are in the best interest of AMIA, and are financially responsible. The selection criteria for a Board member balances a mix of experience, age, gender, ethnicity, geographic, and institutional balance.
The Chair-elect is an officer of AMIA. The Chair-elect will be a member of AMIA in good standing who has demonstrated commitment, active service and leadership, and is committed to furthering AMIA’s mission and vision. The Chair-elect will have served previously as a member of the AMIA Board of Directors. The Board of Directors and members of AMIA expect the Chair-elect to assist the Chair in his/her duties. The Chair-elect shall perform the duties of the Chair during absence or disability of the Chair. In cases where the vacancy is permanent, the Chair-elect will succeed to the office of Chair.
The specific roles and responsibilities of the Chair-elect are to:
• Serve on the Executive Committee.
• Preside at all meetings of the Board, Executive Committee, and membership in the Chair’s absence.
• Assist the Chair in fulfilling his/her duties.
• Chair the Signature Awards Committee.
• Prepare for Chair role through the Committee appointment process.
The Chair-elect serves a one-year term and takes office on the first day of the calendar year following his/her election, followed by terms as Board Chair and then Past Chair. The Chair-elect is a voting member of the Board.
The Board of Directors is the principal policy making body of AMIA and is responsible for AMIA’s strategic plan. Board members are the pipeline for other leadership positions in AMIA and should be cross generational. A successful board member is supportive of AMIA’s mission and speaks knowledgeably about AMIA and informatics. S/he is an active and visible member of AMIA and the informatics community. The Board is accountable to AMIA’s members.
There are several key attributes that all potential candidates must possess:
• The ability to think strategically and analytically and to effectively communicate thoughts and the reasons for them.
• The respect of AMIA members and a reputation for emotional maturity, personal integrity, and honesty.
• The ability to work well with others as a member of a collaborative group with group decision-making authority and an understanding of the fiduciary duties of loyalty, care, and obedience.
• A demonstrated understanding of the differences between oversight and supervision.
• A demonstrated familiarity with AMIA, its mission, vision and core values.
• Served AMIA successfully in a significant number of AMIA efforts or tasks.
• The ability to devote the appropriate time to AMIA.
Directors serve a three-year term (2021-2023) and may be elected to serve two consecutive terms.
Working Group Elections
Working groups offer excellent opportunities for young informatics professionals to gain early career leadership experience and longer-term AMIA members to share valuable knowledge and perspective as leaders. Nominations for Working Group leaders are managed within each working group.
The Nominating Committee will present the final slate to the AMIA Board in the fall. After the slate of nominees is announced, instructions on voting will be posted on the AMIA Web site.