Tuesday, May 19, 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. PDT/3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. EDT
The Clinical Informatics Response to COVID-19
- Bryant Karras, Chief Informatics Officer, Washington State Department of Health (Moderator)
- Natasha Close, Surveillance Epidemiologist, Washington State Department of Health
- Nigam Shah, Associate Professor of Medicine, Stanford University, and Associate CIO for Data Science for Stanford Health Care
- Ian Painter, Biostatistician/Epidemiologist at Washington State Department of Health
- Adi Gundlapalli, Chief Public Health Informatics Officer, CSELS, CDC
There has been tremendous recent activity with involvement from AMIA members called to the front lines in response to the pandemic. The first plenary panel will focus on the clinical informatics response to COVID-19, and is moderated by Bryant Karras, Chief Public Health Informatics Officer, Washington State Department of Health, and AMIA 2020 Virtual Clinical Informatics Conference program committee member. The panel will cover the COVID-19 response, tracing the progression of the outbreak in Washington from the very beginning to related surveillance efforts more broadly. Officials and experts from the states of Washington and California will share data modeling activities specific to the pandemic and along with subsequent recovery efforts. To conclude, we will zoom out for a national view of surveillance, healthcare, and laboratory data from the CDC’s Center for Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Laboratory Services (CSELS). Each of the panelists will provide 8-10 minutes of remarks followed by discussion.
Thursday May 21, 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. PDT/10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. EDT
Clinical Informatics in China and its Role for COVID-19 Surveillance and Control
- Zhu Hong, Chairman, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University
- Gong Mengchun, Senior Vice President and Chief Medical Informatics Officer, Digital China Health
- Liu Li, Chief of Quality Control Department, Nanfang Hospital, Southern Medical University
- Qian Tianyi, Director of Technical Committee, Tencent Healthcare
- Li Yuxi, Attending Cardiologist, Peking University First Hospital
This panel includes several Chinese experts who led the informatics response in China to the COVID-19 global pandemic. Duan Huilong will provide an overview of clinical informatics in China. Zhu Hong will cover the Honghu strategy for COVID-19 control and Gong Mengchun will discuss how big data was used for surveillance and control in the city of Honghu. Liu Li will speak about predictive model development and validation for progression from mild to severe of COVID-19 patients. Shi Wenzhao will describe how the Chinese leveraged the power of clinical informatics in the battle against COVID-19 providing perspectives from a high-tech corporation. The session will be moderated by Dr. Gong Mengchun. Each panelist will speak for 10 minutes followed by a short Q&A.