AMIA is sponsoring a Student Volunteer Program whereby a limited number of current AMIA student members may receive waived registration to the AMIA 2017 Annual Symposium (this does not include travel, hotel or meals) in exchange for serving as a room monitor at tutorials, plenary sessions, workshops, and scientific sessions.
You must be a current AMIA Student Member to qualify for participation in this program. To become an AMIA Member, Click Here.
The 2017 Annual Symposium will be held in Washington, DC at the Washington Hilton, November 4-8, 2017. Tutorial sessions will be held Saturday and Sunday.
Responsibilities may include:
- Checking for specific conference badges
- Collecting tickets for tutorials
- Taking a head count at all monitored sessions
- Being available if meeting attendees have questions
- Monitoring space in rooms that have become crowded, requesting extra seating when needed
- Distributing hand-out materials when appropriate
- Assisting speakers with AV needs (adjusting lighting, contacting AMIA staff regarding problems with room temperatures, urgent AV issues, etc.)
In order to qualify for participation in the program, each student member volunteer must agree to monitor six session slots during the course of the symposium. A session slot is equal to one tutorial (full day tutorials count as 2 slots), one workshop, or one scientific session. It is imperative that each volunteer remains in their designated time slot for the duration of the session to which they are assigned.
Please fill out the form (You need to log in to AMIA Central) to apply for a student volunteer position. If you are selected to participate, you will receive an email from the Student Volunteer Coordinator with information on selecting tutorials and sessions to monitor. Once you have selected your tutorials and sessions, a student volunteer registration form will be sent to you - this will enable us to collect data for your badge and any other additional events you may wish to purchase.
A valid credit card must be supplied to hold your volunteer position. Should you not COMPLETELY fulfill your volunteer duties, you will be charged the early student rate for the Annual Symposium (fee of $495).
The Student Volunteer Coordinator will notify you before any action is taken. If you have not been selected for the Student Volunteer Program, you will be able to register for the Annual Symposium at the early student member rate.
Please note: while every attempt will be made to accommodate your choices of sessions to monitor, we cannot guarantee it. The Student Volunteer Coordinator will contact volunteers to finalize arrangements.
Deadline: 11:59 PM EST, Friday, August 25, 2017
Questions regarding this program should be sent to email@example.com with the subject: Student Volunteer Question. You may also contact Susanne by phone at 301-657-1291.
"So what's in it for me?"
- Waived student registration to the AMIA Annual Symposium.
- Monitoring during sought after specialty tutorials; meeting the tutorial presenters.
- Networking and contact opportunities with VIP’s in the field of biomedical, health, nursing, and clinical informatics.
- Meeting and networking with other students in the field.
- Assisting with AMIA’s largest meeting and learning how a meeting is put together from behind-the-scenes.