Careers at AMIA
The American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) is seeking a highly organized, detail-oriented team player for a position in its finance department. Successful candidates will have one to two years of accounting-related work experience, excellent analytical skills, and intermediate-level experience using MS Excel. Candidates should also be extremely detail-oriented, able to multitask and grasp concepts quickly, and be comfortable asking relevant questions. A 2- or 4-year college degree is preferred.
The Staff Accountant will assist the Controller with the financial affairs of the organization including accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management and other activities, as needed.
- Manage AR accounts, process AP invoices and receipts
- Perform weekly payment runs ensuring correct levels of approval and risk control
- Maintain Fixed Asset register and prepare monthly depreciation entries
- Prepare month-end accrual/prepayment entries
- Assist with the preparation of budgets and forecasts
- Assist with payroll administration
- Assist with preparation and coordination of the audit process
- Reconcile credit card statements and prepare monthly coding for transactions
- Prepare journal entries
- Maintain and organize all filing relating to monthly valuations
- Assist with monthly closings and preparation of monthly financial statements
- Assist with general office administrative tasks
- Code and deposit checks as received
- Other projects as assigned
Required Education and Experience
- One to two years of accounting-related work experience with a good understanding of accounting principles and practices
- Ability to organize and prioritize work, perform multiple tasks, meet deadlines and coordinate work efforts with other staff members
- Demonstrated attention to detail, proven analytical and problem solving abilities
- Intermediate skill level of MS Excel and Word
- Proficiency in relevant accounting software (SAGE) preferred
- 2- or 4-year college degree preferred
AMIA is pleased to offer benefits that include fully paid medical, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance. We also offer employees a retirement program and an attractive paid leave plan. Interested candidates should respond with a resume and salary requirements to Phyllis Burchman at email@example.com. Please insert the job title in the subject line. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. No telephone calls will be accepted.
Web Design Internship
AMIA (the American Medical Informatics Association) is the center of action for more than 4,000 health care professionals, informatics researchers, and thought-leaders in biomedicine, health care and science. AMIA is an unbiased, authoritative source within the informatics community and the health care industry. AMIA and its members are transforming healthcare through trusted science, education, and practice in biomedical and health informatics.
AMIA is offering a web design internship for a student or young professional to gain experience (a) improving web graphics and HTML/CSS technique on Drupal CMS and Wordpress CMS, (b) redesigning AMIA's social networking sites, and (c) organizing and creating online communication materials such as email templates and online advertisements. The web design intern will improve his or her skills in Drupal website and graphic design while learning about the inner workings of a professional nonprofit organization. The intern will be supervised by the web/online developer.
- Coordinate workflow operations with the web/online developer to create new web pages with graphics on Drupal CMS
- Work closely with the marketing team to create clean and creative email templates for online communications
- Learn site analytics and help track and monitor social media presence
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
- College degree or some college completed
- Knowledge of Drupal and Wordpress, or other comparable web design platforms
- Capability to communicate status and problems clearly and be able to effectively communicate and work within a team environment
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Intuitive research abilities and familiarity with a variety of web-based research tools and resources
The ideal candidate would be an undergraduate with the ability to spend 4-5 days (20 hours a week) in our Bethesda, MD office, which is a short walk from the Bethesda metro stop. Duration is 3 months (13 weeks) with the potential to extend once for an additional 13 weeks.
- Small monthly stipend
- Academic credit can be arranged
- Hours: 20 hours/week
Submit a resume and web-based portfolio of design samples via e-mail to Miyoung@amia.org along with a list of online portfolio. In the subject line, please write "WEB DESIGN INTERN."