Vice President of Membership
The American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) is seeking a Vice President of Membership to join our team. The Vice President of Membership is responsible for the strategic direction and management for AMIA’s individuals, academic and corporate members. The Vice President will focus a significant amount of time on growing corporate membership and solicitation of sponsorship revenue to assure corporate fundraising goals are met. The Vice President serves as an advocate and a voice for all members through communications and interactions with AMIA’s staff, board of directors and other stakeholders. As a member of the senior management team, the individual will contribute to high-level, cross-departmental efforts designed to meet AMIA’s strategic objectives. The Vice President serves as the staff liaison to several AMIA committees and councils including the Academic Forum, the Industry Advisory Council, and the Membership Committee. The position reports to the President and CEO.
- Lead a team accountable for overall planning, implementation, and effectiveness of AMIA’s membership and sponsorship programs
- Develop and manage the long-term strategy and plans for AMIA’s membership programs in an effort to expand the membership in a manner consistent with the AMIA mission and goals
- Lead sponsorship development and corporate membership recruitment
- Provide oversight of Director of Corporate Relations and all programmatic activity that involves corporate member sales, recruitment, fulfillment and retention
- Provide oversight of Director of Member Services and all programmatic activity that involves individual member recruitment and retention
- Partner with other departments to identify and develop sponsorship and new business opportunities
- Create and administer program budgets and maintain target operating margins
- Build coalitions and work to resolve differences between members of AMIA’s diverse membership constituencies
- Identify changes in membership trends and evaluate and adjust the departmental plans and processes accordingly
- Develop and implement strategies for remaining in regular and meaningful contact with members and partners including strategic planning discussions and engagement plans with each corporate member
- Serve on the Academic Forum, Industry Advisory Council and Membership Committee
- Collaborate with staff to continually evaluate AMIA’s member-focused program delivery and increase the effectiveness and efficiency of programmatic offerings
- Promote the highest member service standards possible in using tools and strategies to respond to inquiries, requests, and comments from members, prospective members, and others
- Outstanding writing, editing and verbal communication skills
- Strong knowledge of healthcare and health IT marketplace
- Understanding of current healthcare policy and regulatory issues
- Proven relationship builder with the ability to quickly earn the respect of multiple constituencies, both internally and externally
- Ability to develop differentiated value propositions for different types of members, close deals and develop pipelines
- Positions discussions related to member services and corporate business development at both the strategic and tactical levels
- Project management experience with the ability to manage and oversee multiple projects, working collaboratively with other staff and departments to accomplish successful results on deadline and on budget
- Education – College degree required; advanced degree preferred
- Knowledge – Thorough understanding of association membership and corporate sponsorship programs within a member focused non-profit organizations
- Work Experience – 10+ years of experience with a professional or trade association or similar organization, developing and implementing integrated association membership programs and initiatives that include business development, product management, and partnership creation especially with corporate members
- Technical Skills – Competency with CRM software, social media and e-communication tools; strong MS office skills
- Conditions – Must be able to travel
AMIA is pleased to offer benefits that include fully paid medical, dental, long term disability, and life insurance in addition to a retirement program and an attractive paid leave plan. To be considered, candidates should respond with a resume and salary requirements to Phyllis Burchman at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please insert the job title in the subject line. The search will close on September 30, 2015. Qualified candidates will be contacted for interviews. No telephone calls will be accepted.
Membership Marketing/Community Engagement Specialist
The American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) is seeking a Membership Marketing/Community Engagement Specialist to support member engagement activities, develop marketing messages, respond to member inquiries and manage multiple projects at once. The Specialist is responsible for administering several key membership processes impacting membership retention and to provide high-quality customer service to all members and potential members of AMIA. This position will report to the Director of Marketing and Communications and serves as a primary contact for the Association’s member communities, executes member marketing campaigns designed to improve member retention and engagement, and helps maintain the database. Additional duties will include database management and data integrity efforts. Other administrative, communications, and annual meeting related projects as assigned.
- Help develop and implement a community engagement plan; serve as online community oversight/community moderator
- Manage Working Group/Communities/Sections volunteer leader relationships, conference calls, monitor Working Group activity, address member inquiries and concerns
- Network with members and identify champions for programmatic engagement
- Contribute member focused items to AMIA’s weekly newsletter, AMIA Insider and social media
- Liaison to Education department staff to fully understand member benefits available through education and ensure effective member communication regarding benefits
- Liaison to the Education department staff to source content and speakers for the regular development, promotion and presentation of Working Group generated webinars.
- Manage and execute MemberConnect marketing campaigns designed to improve member retention and engagement
- Manage “new member on-boarding” efforts in the first year lifecycle, through renewal
- Manage and execute Friends of AMIA marketing campaigns targeted at lapsed members, non-member meeting attendees and other prospective member lists.
- Identify, analyze and report on metrics to monitor membership growth, trends and financial results to support decision-making and strategic planning.
- Work with Member Services and Marketing Directors on membership reports and creating queries for segmented email marketing
- Manage data integrity efforts and assist with data analysis working collaboratively with team members to identify membership trends.
- Process membership when Member Services Representative is unavailable (Cross trained)
- Research of member and chapter inquiries related to membership processing
- Four year college degree preferred or equivalent education and work experience
- Minimum of 5 years of membership marketing for an individual membership organization
- Strong organizational, administrative, project management skills
- Understanding of association member services functions
- Competency with association management database software (Avectra, NetForum, or IMIS; Netforum preferred), social media and e-communication tools and strong MS office skills
- Exhibits enthusiasm and passion for member engagement and building personal member relationships
- Friendly, personable and efficient customer service skills
- Ability to manage numerous projects at once and use critical thinking to respond to member and chapter inquiries efficiently and in a timely manner
- Able to travel occasionally
- Competencies in popular social networks for business purposes
AMIA is pleased to offer benefits that include fully paid medical, dental, vision, long term disability, and life insurance in addition to a retirement program and an attractive paid leave plan. Qualified candidates should respond with a resume, a letter outlining your experience working in a similar position and salary requirements to Phyllis Burchman at email@example.com. Please insert the job title in the subject line. Qualified candidates who are local to the DC metro area will be contacted for interviews. No telephone calls will be accepted.